Each category has a defined set of recyclable materials that can be included in the weekly weight totals. Aside from the targeted material categories, the following materials are reported for the main categories:
The following details what may be included under the traditional material categories.
- Boxboard / chipboard
- Hard and softbound books
- Junk mail
- Office Paper(all colors)
- Phone books
- Cans and Bottles
- #1 through #7 Plastic (e.g., soda, water, juice, beer, laundry detergent bottles)
- Aluminum cans
- Glass bottles and jars
- Steel cans
- Other food or beverage containers accepted by local recycling program
- Baled and unbaled cardboard boxes
- Boxboard / chipboard
- Food Service Organics
- Pre and post-consumer food waste
- Compostable dinnerware, napkins, etc.
- Food waste used as animal feed may be included
- Used cooking oil
- Electronics (E-Waste)
Electronics are counted as part of the special "E-cycleMania" category only. Schools may icount specific materials not included on the following list if they are otherwise accepted as "electronics" by their recycling service provider. All materials must be handled by an R2 or e-Stewards certified recycler to be counted in the competition.
- Computers, printers, related equipment
- Hand held devices
- Consumer electronics
- Power cords, chargers and other ancillary equipment
- Municipal Solid Waste (MSW). Any materials disposed through a normal MSW waste stream should be reported as "trash" regardless of whether or not it would otherwise be counted if recycled, reused or composted. Materials processed through waste-to-energy incineration are considered trash and not accepted as recycling.
- Construction and demolition waste and medical waste are not included in RecycleMania as trash or recycling.
The following materials are not included in the combined material categories:
- Materials from construction and demolition projects
- Industrial plastics
- Scrap metal
- Scrap wood
- Yard waste
- Other miscellaneous recyclable items not listed under "Materials Counted."
Electronics weights are featured in the targeted E-cyclemania category, but are not included in the Per Capita Classic, Grand Champion, Waste Minimization or Gorilla categories.