To get the most out of RecycleMania, schools will want to plan activities to engage students. The following are a number of examples of how other campuses have promoted the program on their campus.
Activities: Get the Play-by-Play
- Dorm Storm
- Dumpster Dive (Waste Audit) and Customizable Signs for Dumpster dive
- Get Caught Green-Handed (Event in a Box)
- GameDay Halftime Promotion
- Internal Competition
- Mug Shots
- Pledge Drive
- ReGames (Event in a Box)
Additional Activity Ideas
Low Cost Activities
- Run a daily trivia contest in the school newspaper promoting waste prevention and recycling. Offer a raffle or an eco-friendy prize to the person who calls the recycling office first with the correct answer wins the daily contest.
- Participate in RecycleMania Glory. Ohio University (OU) worked with its telecommunications center to develop RecycleMania Glory, a biweekly television segment that features the schools, the competition, and close races—especially schools that are natural competitors or have moved up in the ranks. Develop public service announcements for television or radio featuring the school president, campus athletes or coaches, or other students.
- Purchase Facebook ads targeted to your campus or run ads in the student newspaper.
- Update students, faculty, and staff on your standings in the competition through mass e-mails. Include recycling facts/statistics.
- Take advantage of campus and local media. Work with your campus communications department to prepare news releases about your participation. actively solicit stories from your campus newspaper or other outlets. See if the campus paper is willing to run a weekly column of ad space showing your campuses updated ranking against rival schools.
- Create scorecards that you can update each week, print out post around campus bulletin boards and on your Web site, and on the University cable network.
- Work with Residential Life staff to promote RecycleMania in the residence halls. Distribute flyers to residential advisors to hang on bulletin boards in the residence buildings.
- Work with your communication dept or whoever manages the official school website to see if you can get RecycleMania featured on the homepage during the kickoff or other key promotional time.
- Hang "potty posters" in the bathroom stalls of residence halls. Reach out to your housing dept. for permission to post.
- Make table tents for dining halls and student centers. Change them out each week with update messages and rankings.
- Create pie chart signs with butcher paper to tape onto dumpsters that show what percentage of trash is recyclable items and a message to recycle more. Get permission to post them.
- Create chalk ads on sidewalks around campus. Get permission to do this first!
- Conduct promotional tabling, hosting recycling-related activities, interactive displays, and prize raffles in the main hall lobbies.
- Hold a recycling fair in the student union building. Activities can include a recycled newspaper toss, recycle-themed Jeopardy, an aluminum can trivia quiz, an environmental habits assessment form, and informational displays.
- Hold a recyclables sort in a residence lobby.