GameDay Basketball is similar to the football-related GameDay Challenge that takes place in the fall. GameDay Basketball compares schools based on recycling and waste minimization efforts made during a single home basketball game during the February and March timeframe of RecycleMania. Schools plan outreach and education activities, and report the corresponding weights for recycling, food organics and trash generated during the designated game.
- Track Weights for Single Home Game – Choose any home game to report as long as it takes place during the 10 week period covered by the RecycleMania pre-season and regular competition.
- Four Ranked Categories:
- Waste Generation – Similar to the traditional RecycleMania Waste Minimization category, schools are ranked based on who has the least amount of combined trash, recycling and food organics on a per capita basis using official game attendance. To get the official attendance numbers from the game, please contact your Athletics Department.
- Diversion rate – Similar to Grand Champion, schools are ranked based on who has the highest recovery (recycling + food organics) as a percentage of total trash, recycling and food organics.
- Per Capita Recycling – Same as the Per Capita Classic, schools are ranked based on the total amount of recycling collected on a per capita basis using the official game attendance. Food organics is not factored in this category.
- Food Organics - Rankings are based on the highest amount of food organics collected on a per capita basis using the game attendance.
- Materials Counted - Schools should report weight data for all sources of paper, cardboard, cans and bottles, food organics and trash (if available) during the designated home game.
- Collection Areas - Schools should report weights for materials generated in areas directly associated with the game including concourse, seating areas, VIP boxes, back of the house concession and tailgate zone (if any).
- Data Tracking - The same data tracking standards for traditional competition division apply to GameDay Basketball.
- No Divisions –Regardless of which division a schools participates in the traditional RecycleMania Tournament, all schools will be compared together in a single ranking for each of the GameDay Basketball categories. Schools may participate in the GameDay Basketball whether or not they are involved in the traditional 8 week RecycleMania categories.
- Results presented at the end –Schools will report weights following their designated game and the overall rankings presented at the end of the tournament in early April.